Virginia Program DirectorPosition: Full-TimE, remote.
Red Wine & Blue is a national community of diverse suburban women working together to defeat extremism and change the world for the better, one friend at a time (best explained by this NYT episode of “The Daily,” Why Suburban Women Changed Their Minds and this Washington Post profile, ‘Blue’ suburban moms are mobilizing to counter conservatives). We are seeking a full-time VA Program Director to rally, engage, and expand womens’ civic and political engagement in the VA suburbs in 2023 and beyond.
Who we are looking for:
- You can’t wait to build a kick-ass team of suburban women organizers across VA – and you have the management experience (could be from any sector!) to lead them.
- You follow local politics like others follow their favorite sports team – you’re the one your friends (and their friends) call, text, or message to find out what’s going on politically and in your community. Ideally you even have experience working with local political or civic organizations and leaders on grassroots advocacy.
- You are good at getting people to do stuff — in fact, you’re never afraid to ask because you know people like to be empowered and given a role. You know how to make getting involved feel social and fun.
- You aren’t afraid of data and technology and know that they can empower your team to be more efficient and effective.
- You dig social media and can effectively use these tools to influence, persuade and inform others. You love being creative, aren’t afraid to make a selfie video, and may or may not have been a theater kid.
- Public speaking is your jam and you’re always up for talking to the press about what suburban women have to say.
- You are good at dealing with all different types of personalities, understand how to connect on shared values with women who don’t consider themselves to be “political” or who may disagree with you on some issues.
- And above all, you have a passion for getting sh*t done!
What you’ll be doing:
- Guiding overall organizing strategy by identifying state and local issues and races in which RWB should engage.
- Hiring and managing RWB staff in Virginia, including a Deputy State Program Director and Regional Organizers.
- Recruiting volunteers into opportunities for involvement with RWB, including our relational voter turnout program.
- Engaging with grassroots women leaders, elected officials, political allies, and advocacy groups to build enthusiasm and knowledge of RWB and our program throughout the state.
- Collaborating with our data team to identify target areas and opportunities for growth.
- Consulting with our communications and media team to develop relatable content on state-specific topics and recruiting local women to appear in RWB content.
- Disrupting the media narrative about suburban women by talking to local press, hosting media events, and connecting reporters with local suburban women.
- Hosting community-building events and trainings, such as Zoom meetings, Facebook Lives, and in-person events.
- Building and managing a state-based Facebook group as a tool for community building and volunteer recruitment.
Reports to: Head of Organizing (and fellow suburban woman) + works in collaboration with Program Directors from other RWB states. At RWB, no one goes at it alone.
Salary: $72,000 + competitive benefits package covering 75% of employee medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums. We are a mom-led, family-friendly organization that also covers 50% of dependent premiums and allows for a flexible work schedule. We provide a generous paid time off policy with paid vacation, sick leave, personal days, and at least 10 paid federal holidays, including Juneteenth.
Location: All 42 RWB staff work remotely, running virtual operations nationally and on the ground in OH, PA, MI, and NC. This is your opportunity to establish RWB on the ground in VA!
We strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, non-binary candidates, and LGBTQIA candidates to apply.
Application: Submit your application here to apply. You’ll be asked to include a resume and cover letter describing specifically why you want to work at Red Wine & Blue (we’re unique – we want to know why you think you’d love it here!)
Applications received by March 31, 2023 will be given preferential consideration. The final day to apply for this role is April 7. If you have questions regarding the posted position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.